If you’re anything like me you were holding your breath in anticipation of the launch of Google + pages for business. It’s time to breathe again. Google + for business, brands, organizations, etc. are here! My team and I were up very late last night making sure that each and every one of our active clients woke up this morning with their very own business page. This is not the kind of thing that you want to be behind the curve on. Facebook may be king of social, for now, but Google + is a game changer and for businesses, this is a good thing.
Here’s what you need to know:
1. Where do I go to get my page?
Create your page HERE.
2. Get a short url*
The Google + url is quite lengthy and includes many digits, which does not make it friendly for sharing. Check mine out: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/100853928603228383099/100853928603228383099/posts Really? Who wants to bother with all that? Isn’t gplus.to/SocialSavvyGeek much nicer? I think so.*This is a 3rd party service and not offered by Google.
Get your short url at gplus.to.
3. As of right now, there is no verification of pages, which means that you need to get yours NOW.
What I mean is that there is no verification that the person setting up a brand page is actually a representative of that brand or business. Make sure to set up your page and get your shortlink before someone grabs it up. Better safe than sorry.
This is only the beginning.
Google + pages for business are currently very similar to pages for individuals, but more features will be rolling out soon. The most important feature missing at this point is the ability for team members to share administration of a page. The page is currently tied to the profile under which it is set up and only the person in charge of that account can post as the page.
Differences between Google+ Pages and Google+ Profiles
- Pages can’t add people to circles until the page is added first or mentioned. Learn more.
- Pages can be made for a variety of different entities whereas profiles can only be made for people.
- The default privacy setting for elements on your page profile is public.
- Pages have the +1 button.
- Pages can’t +1 other pages, nor can they +1 stuff on the Web.
- Pages can’t play games.
- Pages don’t have the option to share to ‘Extended circles’.
- Pages don’t receive notifications via email, text, or in the Google bar.
- Pages can’t hangout on a mobile device.
- Local pages have special fields that help people find the business’ physical location. Learn more about local pages.
Information straight from Google:
Different people are interested in different parts of your business. Whether it’s breaking news, updates, promotions, links, photos – even talking face-to-face with groups via easy-to-use video chat – Google+ lets you easily share the right things with the right customers.
Help word get around. Put the +1 button anywhere you’d like people to be able to recommend your business, products or services to friends and contacts all across the web.
How’s your page doing and how could it do better? Google+ makes it easy to learn more about how your followers’ interactions on your page affect your brand, and your business.
If you find all of this a little bit overwhelming- you’re not alone.
Don’t worry. Help is available! Please feel free to share comments about your experiences and ask questions in the comment area below. If you find that you need more intensive help or want a page set up for your business Contact Social Savvy Geek.